My March MRI showed a cyst on my remaining ovary. June scan showed that it had grown and become more complex, ultrasound showed more complexity than the MRI did (solid area, walls, etc.).
Dr. T (oncologist) and Dr. A (obgyn) are my two most trusted doctors and the most conservative when it comes to protecting my lady bits and balancing treatment with quality of life. They both think it needs to come out. And if the last older is coming out might as well take the uterus.
Last time I went to a gynonc who was supposed to bring in a NETs surgeon to look around. Supposed to as in we had multiple conversations, coordinated with the NETs surgeons to make sure one was available and confirmed in pre-op but then decided it wasn’t necessary. Less than 6 months later I have lesions on my liver showing up on scans… would’ve helped to have some eyeballs on the situation to have a better sense of growth rate but, you know, surgeon ego.
This time I went to a NETs surgeon first and and going with my obgyn’s recommendation for gynonc. Made a plan with the NETs surgeon for if the surgery is at HUP or at Pennsy (my obgyn is at Pennsy so those are the gynoncs she knows but one operates at both hospitals). I don’t know why I thought it was possible but I was hoping to just schedule the surgery with the NETs surgeon and his office would call in a gynonc. But nope. I have to see the gynonc first. Of course she’s part of the same practice as last year’s gynonc and the office staff cannot wrap their minds around me switching surgeons within the office. Something so simple as scheduling an appointment took a visit to the front desk and 6 phone calls, but it’s finally scheduled for next week when the hubs can’t go. I just want it over with. I’ve been having panic attacks during the night and paralyzing anxiety during the day. It’s been letting up some as I work through things like deciding on surgeons, lining up care for the Little Man, finish projects promised to other people, etc. other than my first surgery that gave me my diagnosis, this one has the most implications for life afterwards. Last year’s surgery and it’s aftermath are still fresh in our minds… in this case knowledge isn’t power. We also know this one will be harder and it’s weighing heavily on both of us. Last time I still had one older to help stabilize hormones but this one will be a hard stop. I don’t do well with big hormonal shifts. So right now I’m just pushing through wanting to just be done with the surgery so I can move on and figure out how to deal with it. I’ve been in scheduling limbo for about a month already and the longer this drags out the more it messes with my head, the more pain there is and the longer I feel like life is on pause.
Update since I’ve been writing this while waiting in several different areas today: decided to have the surgery at Pennsy and reached out to my obgyn to start figuring out hormone replacement. Feeling better about making progress and wondering what the prize is for a Penn surgical triple crown (Presby, HUP and Pennsy).