So….. I have this nagging hip problem. Nagging since late 2012. July 2017-ish I got an injection into my hip joint that completely cleared up the pain for about 4 months and it was life changing. I’m dead serious, no exaggeration. January 2018 I got a second injection and paired it with physical therapy hoping that we could push through more and maybe, just maybe, fix the underlying problem. Surprise, surprise, the pain relief only lasted a couple of weeks and even though I kept pushing it as hard as I could, yet another round of PT failed.
March or April of 2018 I started using medical marijuana. I’ll write a whole post (or several) on the specifics, but eventually I was pretty much back to being pain free. Then the hysterectomy happened and I had to stop all medications a week prior. I couldn’t restart it for a while after the surgery because it makes me sleep too hard/long. Since the pain came back in full force I decided to give it another try to figure out the underlying cause. To do that my doctor ordered an arthroscopic MRI where they fill the joint with contrast.
But before we get to that point, we need to go back a week. It’s mid-January and I wake up on a Wednesday just feeling really dizzy/lightheaded. Mostly okay when I lie down, worse with sitting and the longer I sit up, the worst with standing. That goes on all day and into the next so the hubs takes me to the ER to make sure everything is okay. They give me some fluids and send me home.
The following Tuesday I went for the arthroscopic MRI. They do the contrast injection into my hip in the ultrasound room and I go back to the changing/waiting area to wait for my pictures. I start feeling lightheaded and at least try to sit down… next thing I know I’m trying to figure out why my bed is so cold only to realize I’m face down on the floor. Once someone finally saw me I had five people around me almost instantaneously – one holding my legs up, one holding an ice pack on my head, one feeding me orange juice, one asking me questions, one being nervous.
The best part – I made it through the MRI of my hip so I don’t have to do the contrast injection again. Double thumbs up for that.
My blood pressure and heart rate were low so after talking to my oncologist they told me to go to the ER. I went back to the same ER (hopefully won’t be making that mistake again), they don’t like my numbers so they admit me for observation over night.
That was useless. I got more out of the hour-long appointment with my primary that I did from the 24 hours I was at the hospital in Level 3 Suburbia (I really miss living closer to Philly).
Game plan for my heart:
- Hold off on lanreotide injections until cardiology gives the okay (ignoring the reason why and counting this as a win… any break from injections gives me a happy feeling like I’m skipping class)
- Next week I’ll wear a heart monitor for 24 hours
- Run some labs to test my cortisol levels
- Add more salt into my diet
- See cardiology next month
- If the labs show an issue with my cortisol levels I’ll probably see endocrinology instead of cardiology
We also discussed my hip. I haven’t had my follow up with my PM&R doctor yet but based on the discussion with my primary it looks like surgery is at least worth consideration. He told me if I didn’t have the cancer that I would’ve had surgery already and gave me some other information that gave me some hope for better odds of success and a shorter recovery. The thought of yet another surgery… but then the thought of being pain-free (or significantly reduced pain) without having to take medication… I’m curious to see what PM&R says. That appointment isn’t until the end of the month though.
If we do decide to go down the surgery path I’m going to target June when summer camp starts. Can I just say how excited I am for camp? For one, I think the Little Man will loooooooove it. Selfishly, I’m going to looooooove the bus picking him up, dropping him off and not having to pack a lunch. 8 weeks of not having to transport him, easier morning prep, fewer trips to the grocery store and a completely exhausted kiddo at the end of the day will help both the hubs and me manage the surgery better. Not gonna lie, this is a big factor in my decision. One way or another we’ll be walking to kindergarten come this September, just like how my dad used to walk me to school.
That’s a long enough update for now. At some point I’ll post about medical marijuana, surgical menopause/hormone replacement, and other things I’m doing to try to manage stress, pain and nutrition.